Final Reports

To complete your work for this class, you need to do three things:

1. Over the weekend, resolve any issues that have been filed in our Github repository for the page(s) you are responsible for on the final website. (UPDATE: Please also comment on this important new issue regarding a statement on our front page about the nature of our sources.) We will consider our final project to be in its finished form at 11:59pm this Sunday.

2. After the project has been finalized, write a report of approximately 950 to 1,250 words. Your report should assess how well our website meets its objective of demonstrating the possibilities and limits of digital history methods to an audience of historians and scholars interested in digital humanities but new to the field. Be specific about the things that you think work well to meet this objective, and the things that would most need work or expansion in future iterations. At the end of your essay, give the final project a score of up to 30 points (with 30 being the best possible score) based on your assessment of its quality. Your final report grade will be an average of your own score together with a score of up to 30 points that I will assign your report based on how well, and with how much specific evidence, you make the case for your assessment.

3. Respond to the final "team participation" questionnaire of the semester, which I will email to you all individually.

Thanks for a great semester, and let me know if you have any questions!

One Response to Final Reports

1. Hi DHMers,
    I enjoyed reading about your Palladio visualization, the project that most relates to my experience. While I did not analyze the data aspect and am not familiar with Palladio, I thought I would give you an imaging specialist’s perspective on the various ways to adjust data visualizations. To put it another way, if you are skilled with Photoshop (and Illustrator, though I’m worse at that) you can pretty much create any visualization you want while remaining Truth-y to the original output.
    You guys wrote:
    “Additional limitations lie in the digital tool itself. Palladio is in the process of being updated, so hopefully the user interface will become more friendly in the future. Currently, embedding the visualizations into a website is not an option, so we have been forced to use screenshots to present our results. In addition, the number of visualization options are limited. For example, the underlying map does not have the possibility of adding state boundaries for more clarity. Another disadvantage of working with Palladio lies in the fact that data collection is manual, and therefore time consuming.
    An alternative to Palladio is Google Maps, which would allow embedding of the resulting images and more advanced visualization options. However, the point to point lines would have to be drawn by hand, which would be labor intensive, especially given the size of the data set.”
    Because I do this type of work all the time in Photoshop, I decided to put together your 3 jailer’s maps into one with the Google Earth satellite background and a legend. I also stuck in the three county jails you mentioned.
    While it’s hardly refined, that’s partially by design so y’all could see the seams in the garment – for instance, my exported Google Earth image didn’t go high enough to account for all the Mississippi-derived data points, but I decided not to worry about it.
    It was a curious exercise. Since the three maps were at different zoom levels, I had to scale each to match (you can see that the points and lines are of varying thickness because of this). Fortunately the background maps lined up fairly well. After aligning the three maps at the same scale, I then stretched the satellite image to match up as best I could in a short time. Then I selected and erased the gray-and-white map backgrounds from your original Palladio maps, leaving the lines and nodes.
    Below are the quick ‘n dirty results, the first is small with the originals above it, and the second is a larger image.
    I should mention that on this kind of project I usually work on a large Photoshop “canvas” and expand the images so I don’t lose any detail.
    Best wishes and have a good summer, Andrew Taylor
    http://agt2.web.rice.edu/jailers1840-42/jn40-42sm.jpg
    http://agt2.web.rice.edu/jailers1840-42/AGTPal01_large.jpg